Thursday, July 3, 2008

A Verse Or A Voice


Heard my mema(aunty,mothers younger sister) once recite these lines when we were sitting for prayer. Well as a good nephew would do , I did lend my ear but believe me today i dont know whether my ears lent themselves or I did cause that . What can i say unless you comprehend these beautiful lines from GITANJALI by RABINDRANATH TAGORE
This is a prayer to thee, my lord
Strike, strike at the penury in my heart
Give me the strength to bear my joys and sorrows
Give me the strength to make my love fruitful in service
Give me the strength never to disown the poor or bend my knees before insolent might(/*the words of an intellect, worth a tear*/)
Give me the strength to raise my mind high above daily trifles
And give me the strength to surrender my strength to thy will with love.

Well being an Indian and the introduction to the translations by Yeats will definitely give you a feeling to rethink your heritage.

1 comment:

Anup J Nambiar said...

Beautiful prayer I should say. And yes, not knowing to read in the Indian languages is a real bog loss.

On the prayer and on prayers as such, anything said sincerely from the heart will reach the person whom it is meant for.