Friday, September 10, 2010

Life in Delft

Library at Delft


EEMCS Faculty.. My workhouse













I always wanted to post on my experiences that I have had so far that you could picture the differences between Delft and your home town.

1. Dutch are some of the most helpful people on planet " Earth". I can vividly remember how people would just run close to me when I was holding the map to find a location and they would guide me without even asking for the same.
2. Dutch have a typical 9-6 work life. I don't know how they manage to do all the quality work within such a span with no overtime and, saturday and sunday referred to as funday.
3. The climate here is absolutely horrendous so much so that I got blown away close to the tall EEMCS bldg. at the TU. So, people beware of the climate and this is Summer with avg. temperatures near 15 C.
4. Bikes throng everywhere. I could even spot a guy well dressed in formal suits riding one. This is perhaps among the few places in the world where there are seperate tracks for bikes and people love the environment and righfully resort to such measures.
5. Right now at the end of Summer, I can still see the Sun out at 9 PM at night. This inspite of having the daylight saving time correction. Can you believe that?
6. One can always refer to a Prof. by his first name.
7. Beer parties are a part of tradition and a Dutch party is always such that you pay for what you eat or you bring your dishes.
8. Coming from a lesser developed place, never convert the cost of items into native currencies unless the intent is to faint.
9. I can virtually sit on my library. I meant on "top".
10. The place is absolutely beautiful!!

No comments: